This is part of the harness that I’m making for myself right now. The armour is based off a piece made by Christian Schreiner the Younger held in the Met museum ca 1510. The early 1500s is an interesting time for armour as Italian forms are combined with Gothic influences, particularly fluting, to give early Maximilian style armours. It’s also about the time when acid etching starts to be developed and applied to armour.
Unfortunately recreating these elements has been giving me some problems. After I complete each piece and bask in the warm glow of a job well done, I end up finding online a more recent photo of the reference with better resolution/different angle. The new information abruptly bursts my bubble as I see the flaws in my work as it departs from the originals form.
In this case the best photo I found before starting work was this: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1991.4/, then afterwards I found this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thoog/4199383040 showing more refined fluting, a different shoulder shape (though possibly damage), and probably an internal leather strap for the shoulder. I should have raised the couter deeper anyway.
I think I’m going to find some chocolate then crawl into bed and sulk despite the rotating cuff in the upper cannon working like a dream.