Good Grief! More Greaves!

So I’ve recently finished a new pair of greaves for a friend. These are 1.2mm tempered spring steel, which are a improvement over his last ones, which were 2mm thick…

It’s really nice to see the progress I’ve made since my last pair, both in speed, and ease of creation, and quality of product. Makes me happy although there’s still plenty of room for improvement.

IMG_0025

In the process of being shaped.

Greaves Matt (1)Greaves Matt (2)

For the colouration, I went with the process of treating the steel multiple times with a dilute acid to help speed up rust formation, then boiling to convert the Fe(III) to Fe(II), along with carding. The plastic bags are because the pot wasn’t big enough, and steam and hot metal can produce the same effect, although less effective.

Greaves Matt (3)Greaves Matt

Oil tends to stay better on this type of blacking, as the rougher surface holds the oil better.

Although this is for a mongol kit, I drilled the holes for articulating with a european leg harness before hardening in case he wants to change over to a european kit sometime in the future.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s